Monday, 16 June 2014

the first breath of a new life

dear everyone !!

oh, it's been eternities --

a free spirit speaks to you today, someone who has finished spending all her time at an institution in her home country and is soon to move on with her life.
 into a new country, that is.

yes, i'm at the end of my final year at the fashion institute and, gladly so, have now finished working on my graduate collection. 








T.E.o.I.B. - The Externalisation of Inner Beauty is about reflecting inner values, 
beauty and talents, that were hidden before and are now ready to surface. It's the story of a young woman in her process of becoming an adult, who realises that she has to visualise the traits and divine energy which she has collected within herself.
There's another aspect to it though. It's more than the autobiographical woman, who tries to externalise her inner beauty, but every person of every gender out there. 
To analyse and understand the actual characteristics of a personality, I have occupied myself with texts about gender identities and dualism/pluralism of it. 

Works I can truly recommend, since I have worked with them as research/reference, are 'Le deuxième sexe/Das andere Geschlecht/The Second Sex' by Simone de Beauvoir which depicts the transition from a 'one gender model' to a dualism of genders that is female/male. 

Following this read, the postmodern feminist essay 'A Cyborg Manifesto' by Donna Haraway is a crucial basis for thoughts about post-gender worlds and the pluralism of identities which we can experience nowadays. This work has opened me so incredibly many new ways of thinking and inspired me to accept it into my own life, that I am just purely grateful for it and for the tutor who has helped me understand it in detail and with whom I had the most amazing discussions.
It's been a long process to develop my collection. I remember sitting in Barcelona last summer, cutting out and assembling reference pictures to mood boards. The last year of my life has been a direct inspiration, an actual art de vivre, a way i have acted out what I actually created in the end. I sketched 120 outfits for my phantom collection, illustrated 30 of them and ended up choosing 4 to be brought to life. 
The illustrations I've created for T.E.o.I.B. (of which you can see 4 below), seek to emphasise the detail and purity of feeling behind the head- and body pieces I've created.  It's the emotion, the expression that matters, the contemplation which leads to externalising beauty.






Stay tuned for further pictures of my graduate collection worn by lovely human beings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you think and i shall be grateful (: